
TMNT co-creator on the R-rated Last Ronin movie: “I think it will happen”
Paramount Pictures was developing an R-rated adaptation of The Last Ronin, the comic mini-series written by TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz. Nobody filmmaker Ilya Naishuller was in talks to direct, but unfortunately, the project was scrapped because “the new regime wasn’t keen on having the first non-animated movie in 10 years be a bloody, adult-skewing story.” Although it seems like the project won’t happen anytime soon, Eastman told Entertainment Weekly that he doesn’t believe The Last Ronin is completely off the table.
The Last Ronin Isn’t Dead
“I don’t think the movie’s off the table,” he told the outlet. “I think it’s just delayed.” The Last Ronin takes place in a future, battle-ravaged New York City, where a lone surviving Turtle embarks on a seemingly hopeless mission seeking justice for the family he lost.
Eastman continued, “Speaking with all the folks at Viacom and Paramount and Nickelodeon who love the Turtles and really have done a fantastic job, whether it be the 2012 series to Mutant Mayhem, I don’t think it will not happen. I think it will happen. One of the things that anybody I’ve talked to at the companies, they know the fans love and support all things Last Ronin, as much as another group of fans love everything Point Grey [Pictures, production company], Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg, everybody’s done with the whole Mutant Mayhem series. We’re not disheartened at all.“
The Last Ronin Would Have Brought Back a Familiar Face
It was revealed last week that Judith Hoag, who played April O’Neil in the original live-action movie, was in talks to return for The Last Ronin. “Yes, I’ve been approached, and I’d be happy. It would be a great bookend for me,” Hoag said. “And maybe that happens and maybe it doesn’t. We’ll see.“
What’s Next for TMNT
Other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles projects are in the works. A sequel to the animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is on the way for a September 17, 2027 release.
Additionally, a new live-action/animated hybrid is in development for a 2028 release. The plan is to “Sonic-fy” the franchise, which is why the studio has turned to Neal H. Moritz, the producer behind the three Sonic the Hedgehog movies. This means that the future of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is undoubtedly going to be much more family-friendly than The Last Ronin would have been.
The post TMNT co-creator on the R-rated Last Ronin movie: “I think it will happen” appeared first on JoBlo.